Monday, June 2, 2014

A Kind of Magic

Hi all and welcome! This week we are having a magical challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog. Lots of possibilities with this one, do a project about a magical technique, a magical day or place, and more, whatever you can think of.
  
When I saw the theme for this challenge, I got Queen's A Kind of Magic on my brain and decided that it was a good theme for an art journal page. There are more magical elements on this page: a resist technique is always a bit magical for me, to see the resist areas appear as you apply a colouring medium. Secondly, interactive elements also give a sense of magic and mystery, of something hidden, and here I added a door that opens, made with the new Sizzix Passage Door die by Tim Holtz.
 
For the background, Tim's new Motif cardstock was used. The paper pad comes full of great patterns, on white and kraft cardstock, also with smaller sizes. The patterns will resist a lot of colouring media, creating great effects. I used Distress Ink for my background, smearing orange and yellow inks on my craft sheet, misting with water and pressing the paper into the ink. Wipe the ink off the stars. On an art journal page I posted recently, which also happens to have a magic theme, Distress Stain was used to colour kraft resist paper.  When the background was dry, I stamped it with various stamps using Archival Ink.
 
The bird was stamped on patterned paper, the stamp comes from Stampers Anonymous Classics #16 set. The blue splatters on the background were done with watered-down Peacock Feathers Distress Paint, and a splatter brush

I die cut the door from a woodgrain piece of resist paper and inked it with Tumbled Glass and Peacock Feathers. The die also embosses the paper, you can see the lines here, they will be more visible on, for example, cardstock. The watch was stamped on a dotted piece of resist paper. As a door knob I used a number brad.

I printed some lines from the lyrics on a ticket, and used the ticket to attach the door to the page. There is also another clock, since the quote refers to the doors of time. When it was done, I attached the page to my Small Creative Journal.

I hope you will join us in the challenge this week, and show us some magic. As always, one random participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp.
 
http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/

Thank you for stopping by! Enjoy your week!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Motif Cardstock, Menagerie Paper Stash; Ranger Dylusions Small Creative Journal
Dies: Sizzix: Passage Door
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous: Classics #16, Classics #3; Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: Typography, Psychedelic Grunge, Mini Muse, Curiosities, Nature Walk, Purveyor, Mercantile,
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink: Jet Black, Forget-Me-Not, Monarch Orange; Distress Ink: Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey, Squeezed Lemonade, Tumbled Glass, Peacock Feathers
Paint: Distress Paint: Peacock Feathers
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Life Quotes Remnant Rubs, Label Letters, Chiseled Industrious StickersNumber Brads, Game Spinners, Long Fasteners, Elements Tissue TapeJournaling Tickets,
Tools: Sizzix Big Shot; Liquitex Free Style Large Scale Splatter Brush

11 comments:

  1. What a fabulous page, Anna Karin. Love the wonderful colors and patterns you created on the background. Those embellishments on the door are so beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic page Anna-Karin, I adore your take on the challenge and you magic elements. The resist looks fabulous and I love the bird too along with the door. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous page Anna-Karin! Love the magic you created! The fun and bright color combination looks wonderful! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love all the layering and the composition of this page :)


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful page Anna-Karin. Love the colors and your style! The door is so pretty! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonderful page Anna-Karin! This color combo is amazing and i love love love the little bird ! Wonderful! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful page! love the layering and that you put the lyrics on the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous bright and summery page. I love the layering and adore your very clever interpretation of the challenge...it's just fabulous, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! This is so pretty! And I had not seen or heard of the resist card stock, so I was pretty excited when I read your post. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous detail! love that blue and yellow combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anna-Karin! I've said it before and I'll say it again: you are the queen of combining stamped images to create all sorts of amazing scenes. I love the mix of images you used on this project. Beautiful work as always!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!